Bell & Miller were a Glasgow-based engineering partnership formed in 1850 by Robert Bell, born in Edinburgh in 1822, and Daniel Miller, born in Glasgow 1825 or 1826. They first came into prominence in 1852 when John Carrick commissioned them to design the arched iron roof of the new market hall adjoining the City Hall in Candleriggs and Albion Street. Thereafter they were responsible for a number of very architectural bridges with Gothic detailed cast-iron arches: at Albert Bridge, Glasgow they were reported to have been assisted by an Edinburgh-based architect named Adamson. They were also much employed on harbour works notably in Glasgow and Greenock. Bell died at West Croydon on 13 September 1883; Miller on 28 September 1888, but the practice was continued under the title of Bell & Miller into the 1890s.