|Collection||Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records|
|Object Name||Sub-Sub-Series, Archival|
|Level of description||Sub-Sub-Se|
|Creator||Greenock Public Library|
|Dates of Creation||1962-1972|
|Extent of Description||1 file; 10 items|
1635-1840 - Greenock was created a Burgh of Barony in 1635. The burgh was enlarged under acts of parliament of 1833 and 1882. (A burgh of barony was granted to a tenant-in-chief, a landowner who held his estates directly from the crown. They were created between 1450 and 1707, but many did not survive for long and many others never developed into market towns.)
1840-1975 - Greenock became a Police Burgh under a local act from 1840 and by general act from 1865. (Police burghs were towns which adopted local or national acts of Parliament to adopt an elected town council, which was responsible for policing, paving, lighting and cleansing. Between 1900 and 1975 over 100 police burghs were created. Some were existing royal burghs and burghs of barony or regality. Others were new creations - growing towns which wanted to control industrial pollution, crime and so on.)
1930-1975 - Greenock became a Large Burgh. In 1930 (under the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929) burghs were divided into counties of cities (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee), large burghs, and small burghs.
1975 - Greenock Burgh was abolished and the area was merged into Inverclyde District Council.
Greenock Burgh (1635-1975)
|Parent ObjectID||LG1/1/13/2||Child Records||
Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records