The Gourock Curling Club was founded in 1858 with the local laird, Major Duncan Darroch, being made Patron with his son Duncan as the first President. Fortunately for the Club, Major Darroch owned the former large estate with Gourock House being his mansion. Gourock House, which no longer stands, was situated in Darroch Park and part of his estate ( Auchneagh Meadow) was offered to the club to make a Curling Pond. It was proposed that the rent be not more than 31 pounds. However there was an amendment to this and it was agreed that it should be one shilling (5p) per annum. Within a year, the pond had been made and water was "let in" in December 1859. In February 1860 it was mooted that a house be built at a cost of 39 pounds to accommodate the stones, and members were encouraged to offer donations so that the house could be completed as expeditiously as possible. It was built (according to a Minute of the day ): "so that brother curlers when they come to play a match will not have anything to say against the Gourock Club in the shape of uncomfortableness". On completion of the Curling House in 1861, Sir Michael Shaw-Stewart, the laird of the neighbouring Ardgowan intimated, at a match between Ardgowan Barony Club (of which he was President ) and Gourock, that he would be willing to propose Gourock as a member of The Royal Caledonian Curling Club and the Club was duly admitted in 1861. The first reference to a Curlers Court is made in the Minutes of 1862 when the Secretary invited some of the members of the neighbouring Ardgowan Club to come to Gourock and initiate our Club members. It is recorded in the Minutes of October 1862 that several members "had the mysteries of curling instilled in them". To this day, the tradition of the Curlers Court is maintained, one being held every other year.