Archive Record

Collection Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records
Catalogue Number LG11
Object Name Fonds
Level of description Fonds
Title Greenock Parochial Board and Greenock Parish Council, records
Date 1852-1930
Creator Greenock Parochial Board
Dates of Creation 1852-1930
Scope & Content Contains Greenock Parochial Board minutes, 1859-1894; Greenock Parish Council minutes, 1895-1930; abstract of accounts, 1868-1869; Greenock Parish Council Day Cash Book, 1926-1930; Invitation issued by the Committee of Management of the Parochial Board of Greenock to Mr. & Mrs. Dugald Campbell to the opening of Smithston Poorhouse, 1879; Greenock poor relief assessment books, 1854-1916; Greenock Parish Death Register, 1852-1854.
Extent of Description 0.425m
Admin/Biographical History The rapid growth of Greenock as an industrial and commercial centre put great pressure on the parish system of providing for the poor. It was normal for church collections to be made for this purpose however the population growth and the cyclical nature of business increased the number of poor. Under the Poor Law Act of 1845 a new Parochial Board was elected. They built a poorhouse and asylum in 1850 and another at Smithston (now Ravenscraig) in 1879. Parochial Boards were replaced by Parish Councils in 1895. The duties of the Parish Councils were in turn transferred to town or district councils after the 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act.
Search Terms Greenock Parochial Board
Parent ObjectID LG11
Child Records Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records