|Collection||Inverclyde Archives: Ecclesiastical Records|
|Level of description||Fonds|
|Title||Mount Pleasance United Presbyterian Church, Greenock, papers|
|Creator||Mount Pleasance United Presbyterian Church | Greenock|
|Dates of Creation||1849-1885|
|Scope & Content||Contains Meeting of Managers Minutes, 1882-1884; Minutes of Annual Meeting of the Congregation, 1883; Draft Minute of Meeting of Session, 1883; Abstract of Accounts, 1882-1883; File of receipts including seat letting prices and various receipts from local businesses and organisations, 1882-1885; Auditors Report on Cash Accounts, 1883; Copy of Church Officers Duties, n.d.; Draft list of District Elders, 1883; and Election of Elders voting paper, n.d.|
|Extent of Description||0.06m|
In 1876 the congregations of Sir Michael Street and Union Street, Greenock, agreed to merge. On 6th January 1877 this was agreed to by the Presbytery, and a congregation was formed of 80 members. The Mission Board next promised to grant the new cause, 50 for five years, and the parent churches were to give 100 each for the same period. Steps were then taken to make the organisation complete, three elders from Sir Michael Street and three from Union Street being appointed to form a provisional session, and managers being similarly provided. On 4th September, when a moderation was applied for, it was stated that the attendance averaged from 60 to 100, and through the liberal aid already specified a stipend was promised of 275 in all.
The First Minister was ALEXANDER DUNCAN, who had been in Muirkirk for two and a half years, and may have ultimately regretted that he ever left.
InDucked to Greenock, 8th December 1877. Four years afterwards a
deputation from the Board brought out the initial drawbacks with which
the minister had to contend. The material laid to his hand, they said, did
not furnish a firm basis for a regular congregation, and his work had consisted largely in purifying and consolidating. But formidable difficulties
had now to be faced. By another year the aid received from the two congregations was to cease, and also the lease of the premises, which were the property of Sir Michael Street Church. To meet this emergency the people were to do their utmost, and the Presbytery undertook to give them all encouragement. To assist with the erection of an iron church ^100 was
to be allowed by the Board, and the congregation was to be placed on the
Augmentation Fund for two years. Assistance having been drawn from
other quarters the cost of the new erection, amounting to ^535, was de-
frayed, and before the end of 1882 a considerable increase in the membership was reported. But the maximum of 125 was reached in 1884. When the question of continuing their support came before the Synod in 1893 the Presbytery interposed, pleading that the struggle had been abnormal, that the withdrawal of the grant would have unfortunate effects, and that both minister and session were hopeful of improvement. It was thereupon decided to persevere for other three years. But before that period ended Mr Duncan tendered his demission, owing to the circumstances of the congregation and the state of his health. The people sympathised with him, and expressed deep regret for the loss of his services, but acquiesced, and on 12th May 1896 the connection was dissolved. He then withdrew to Glasgow, where he still resides, and in October 1900 he had his name placed on the probationer list. The good wishes of Mount Pleasant congregation followed him, and when his semi-jubilee came in April 1900 his successor and other
friends from Greenock waited on him, and presented him with a deposit
receipt for 50 in token of grateful remembrances.
Second Minister. JAMES BUCHANAN, M. A., from Claremont, Glasgow.
Having been located in Mount Pleasant for some time he was ordained, 1st
September 1897. The stipend from the people was to be ,70, and a grant
was promised from the Evangelistic Fund of ,90 for the first year, 75 for
the second, and , 60 for the third, with due notice that unless reasonable
progress were made within that time it would not be continued. At the
close of the first two years the membership had increased to 125, and,
although the stipend from the congregational funds remained as before, the minister had from all sources.
Mount Pleasance United Presbyterian Church, Greenock