|Collection||Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records|
|Level of description||Fonds|
|Title||Gourock Burgh, records|
|Dates of Creation||1848-1975|
|Scope & Content||
The collection includes: manuscript minute books and published minutes of the Town Council (1899-1962, 1964-1970, 1971-1972, 1973-75) and many of its committees, departments and trusts (1855-1960); ledgers, journals, account books, cash books and other manuscript financial papers and volumes (c.1856-1975); published Abstracts of Accounts (1880, 1882-1886, 1888, 1894-1909, 1946-1956, 1959, 1960-1964, 1968, 1971-1972); letter books and correspondence received (1858-1954); Rates Assessments Rolls (1879-91, 1893-1902, 1903-61, 1962-70).
Also in the collection are a large number of registers of licenses for various trades, material relating to water, fire and other public works, Town Council handbooks and other items relating to the activities of the Burgh's statutory bodies. Other material includes cuttings books (1903-1956).
Large parts of the collection are given over to the following topics: housing and planning, including Dean of Guild Court records (1855-1960) and correspondence, reports, plans and other papers relating to mid 20th-century housing schemes; Police Court records (1893-1952); Second World War records, including billeting survey forms, receipts and registers, papers relating to the Special Evacuation Scheme, civil defence, air raid precautions and fire prevention, and a register of civilian deaths.
|Extent of Description||20.01m|
|Admin/Biographical History||In 1694 A burgh of barony was erected at Gourock in favour of Sir William Stewart of Castlemilk. In 1858 it became a Police Burgh (Police burghs were towns which adopted local or national acts of Parliament to adopt an elected town council, which was responsible for policing, paving, lighting and cleansing.) In 1930 it became a Small Burgh under the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929; burghs were divided into counties of cities (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee), large burghs, and small burghs. In 1975 the Burgh of Gourock was abolished and merged into Inverclyde District Council and the area is now part of Inverclyde Council.|
Gourock Burgh (1694-1975)
|Parent ObjectID||LG3/1/01||Child Records||
Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records