|Collection||Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records|
|Level of description||Fonds|
|Title||Renfrewshire County Council, records|
|Creator||Renfrewshire County Council|
|Dates of Creation||1912-1970|
|Scope & Content||
Contains register of readers, Gourock County Library, 1926-1940, 1940-1948; Abstracts of Accounts, 1935-62; County of Renfrew financial estimates, 1932-1941; register of application for poor relief, Gourock District, 1929-1933; Burgh of Gourock District Public Assistance Pay Roll, 1943-1948; Renfrewshire Education Authority minutes, 1919-1929; School Management Committee District No. 5 Minutes, 1920-1922; School Board of Renfrew Minute Book Vol. II, 1912-1913; Renfrewshire County Council Minutes, 1946-1972; Milk Ledger, 1942-1952; Renfrewshire Education Committee newspaper cuttings album concerning articles relating to education in Inverclyde and Glasgow, 1925-1935; report of school accommodation and staffing by the Greenock District School Management Committee, 1945; administrative reports, 1930-1970; Gourock County Library Registers of Readers, 1926-1948; Library annual reports, 1964-1970.
|Extent of Description||28 volumes; 20 files; 45 items|
Renfrewshire was a county in the west of Scotland. It also included the burghs of Barrhead, Crosshill, Gourock, Greenock, Johnstone, Paisley, Pollokshaws, Pollokshields, Pollokshields East, Port Glasgow, and Renfrew. The burghs of Crosshill, Kinning Park, Pollokshaws, Pollokshields and Pollokshields East, along with other areas of the county, were absorbed by the City of Glasgow in the second half of the nineteenth century and the first half of the twentieth century. Renfrew County Council was established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1889, taking over powers from the Commissioners of Supply, County Road Trust, and other local authorities. The County Council was abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973, and the former county became part of Strathclyde Region. The Region was abolished in 1996, and the area which formerly constituted Renfrewshire is now administered by four local authorities: Renfrewshire Council, East Renfrewshire Council, Inverclyde Council and Glasgow City Council. Confusingly, the current Renfrewshire Council administers only a fraction of the former county of Renfrewshire.
County councils inherited almost all the functions of commissioners of supply, and those of county road trusts and local authorities set up under the Contagious Diseases (Animals) Acts. They also took over some administrative powers from the justices of the peace, but not their licensing or judicial functions. The responsibilities of the commissioners of supply for police matters were transferred to standing joint committees made up of commissioners of supply and county councillors. County councils were required to appoint full-time county medical officers of health and sanitary inspectors, and the local public health functions of parochial boards in landward areas were transferred to district committees of the county councils.
The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1929 (19 & 20 Geo. V, c.25) abolished district committees, standing joint committees, commissioners of supply, parish councils, education authorities and other bodies, and transferred all or most of their functions to county councils. The main impact was in the areas of the poor law and education. County councils were now responsible for education everywhere except in the four counties of cities, and for the poor law and public health except in the counties of cities and large burghs. The act also required the councils to prepare a scheme for coverage of their areas by district councils which might have certain functions delegated to them by the county council. County councils were abolished in 1975 and their powers transferred to regional, islands and district councils (Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, c.65).
Renfrewshire County Council (1929-1975)