|Collection||Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records|
|Level of description||Fonds|
|Title||Inverkip Parish Council, records|
|Creator||Inverkip Parish Council|
|Dates of Creation||1859-1924|
|Scope & Content||Contains Inverkip Parochial Board minute books, 1865-1891; Letter Book of John Sinclair, Inspector of Poor for the Parish of Gourock and Inverkip, 1859-1863; Burying Ground table of fees and payments in respect of interments in the Burial Ground, 1912-1919; rules and regulations of the Inverkip and Gourock Burial Ground, 1924|
|Extent of Description||0.14m|
Inverkip was made a burgh of barony before the Act of Union in 1707, with the parish containing all of Gourock, Wemyss Bay, Skelmorlie and part of Greenock. Under the Poor Law Act of 1845 a new Parochial Board was elected. Parochial Boards were replaced by Parish Councils in 1895. The duties of the Parish Councils were in turn transferred to town or district councils after the 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act.
Following the 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act, Renfrewshire County Council took responsibility for the administration of the County. The large towns of Paisley, Greenock and Port Glasgow were responsible for all local services except education, valuation and electoral registration, which were County responsibilities. The smaller towns of Renfrew, including Inverkip and Kilmacolm were confined to more local matters.
Fifth District Council of the County of Renfrew