Archive Record

Collection Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records
Catalogue Number LG2
Object Name Fonds
Level of description Fonds
Title Port Glasgow Burgh, records
Date 1772-1975
Creator Port Glasgow Burgh
Dates of Creation 1772-1975
Scope & Content The collection includes: manuscript minute books and published minutes of the Town Council (1787-1855, 1878-1891, 1897-1975) and many of its committees, departments and other associated bodies (1857-1937); Sederunt books (1774-1815, 1835-1837,1855-1864, 1891-1892); ledgers, journals, account books, cash books and other manuscript financial papers and volumes (1774-1975); published Abstracts of Accounts (1875-1956, 1960-1963, 1969-1973); Rates Assessments Rolls (1829-32, 1837-41, 1847-58, 1862-1969).

Other material includes: cuttings books (1897-1977); a large collection of papers relating to housing and planning, including Dean of Guild Court minute books (1877-1967), papers relating to post-war housing schemes, and Housing and Town Planning survey reports (1950-1968); Sanitary Inspector's reports (1909-1914, 1919-1927, 1929-1938, 1950-1965, 1969-1970).

Collections within this fonds also contains the Port Glasgow Harbour Trust: Correspondence, 1880s-1920s; Table of Rates, 1889, 1901, 1932; Abstracts of Accounts, 1889-93; Petition, vs. Burgh of Port Glasgow, 1926; newspaper clippings; bill posters, including bye-laws and regulations 1903; other papers, including parliamentary acts and ephemera, 1760s-1940s; plans, 1910, 1930; typescript notes on the history of Port Glasgow Harbour, 20th century; Minute books, 1833-39, 1837-1864, 1881-1895, 1864-1881, 1895-1937; Accounts books, 1813-1832, 1833-1860, 1897-1931, 1932-1943; Register of Electors of Stockholder's Trustees, 1891-1912; List of leases and lets, 20th century; Letter book, 1838.

Moffat Library Trust: correspondence, plans, and other papers, 1872-1936; catalogues 1883, 1887 and 1918; Minute books 1884-1929 (with annual reports 1925-1930 inserted);

This list is illustrative, not exhaustive; a fuller description of the collection is available at the Watt Library.
Extent of Description 16.96m
Admin/Biographical History In 1668 a burgh of barony erected at Port Glasgow in favour of Glasgow. In 1803 Port Glasgow became a Police Burgh (Police burghs were towns which adopted local or national acts of Parliament to adopt an elected town council, which was responsible for policing, paving, lighting and cleansing.) In 1832 it became a Parliamentary Burgh (Parliamentary burghs were royal burghs and many burghs of barony and regality on which elected town councils were imposed by Parliament in 1832-33.) In 1930 it became a Large Burgh under the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929, under this act burghs were divided into counties of cities (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee), large burghs, and small burghs. In 1975 the Burgh of Port Glasgow was abolished and it merged into Inverclyde District Council and the area now forms part of Inverclyde Council.
Search Terms Port Glasgow Burgh (1668-1975)
Parent ObjectID LG3/1/13
Child Records Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records
Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records