Archive Record

Collection Inverclyde Archives: Business and Organisational Records
Catalogue Number BG104
Object Name Fonds
Level of description Fonds
Title Ferguson Brothers (Port Glasgow) Ltd., papers
Date 1906-c 1990
Creator Ferguson Brothers (Port Glasgow) Ltd. | shipbuilders
Dates of Creation 1906-c 1990
Scope & Content Contains blueprint plan showing proposed addition and new sea wall at Newark Shipbuilding Yard, 1906; and Promotional specification documents of ships built at Fergusons, c. 1970-1c. 1990.
Extent of Description Unknown
Admin/Biographical History Established in 1903 at Newark, Port Glasgow, the company was a development of Fleming and Ferguson Ltd (established 1855), the Paisley, Renfrewshire, based marine engineering firm. The business was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1912. In 1961, Lithgow's Ltd gained full control of the firm and it subsequently became one of the 1969 group of companies prior to becoming part of the Scott Lithgow Group. Nationalised in 1977, the firm then merged in 1981 with Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Troon to form Ferguson-Ailsa Ltd, and continued to operate on both the Troon and Port Glasgow sites. British Shipbuilders then stepped in with their reorganisation programme which resulted in Ferguson-Ailsa Ltd assets being transferred to Scott Lithgow Ltd. The Ailsa Yard was sold by British Shipbuilders, England, in 1986 and Ferguson's was found a new partner in Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd of Devon, creating Appledore Ferguson Ltd. In 1989, the HLD Group, brought under the control of Kvaerner of Norway in 1990, bought Ferguson's from British Shipbuilders and traded as Ferguson Shipbuilders Ltd. Kvaerner sold the yard to Ferguson Marine plc in March 1991.
Search Terms Ferguson Brothers Ltd. (1903-), shipbuilder, Port Glasgow
Gardyloo, sludge boat, 1976
Percy Dawson, sludge boat, 1968