|Collection||Inverclyde Archives: Burgh and Council Records|
|Level of description||Item|
|Title||Port Glasgow Public Library Minute Book|
|Creator||Port Glasgow Public Library|
|Dates of Creation||1872-1886|
|Extent of Description||1 volume; paper|
1668 - A burgh of barony erected in favour of Glasgow.
1803-1975 - A Police Burgh (Police burghs were towns which adopted local or national acts of Parliament to adopt an elected town council, which was responsible for policing, paving, lighting and cleansing.)
1832 - A Parliamentary Burgh (Parliamentary burghs were royal burghs and many burghs of barony and regality on which elected town councils were imposed by Parliament in 1832-33.)
1930-1975 - A Large Burgh (In 1930 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929) burghs were divided into counties of cities (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee), large burghs, and small burghs.
1975 - Abolished and merged into Inverclyde District Council
Port Glasgow Public Library
Port Glasgow Burgh (1668-1975)